Question: Which “sports” drink promotes fat loss AND also promotes muscle growth?
Answer: Water. Drink plenty of it!
This week’s “Bonus” post comes from the “Fit Tips” newsletter that I offer to all new clients. I decided to post it this week because, as with the previous post, it is a fundamental aspect of fitness. In fact, besides proper nutrition, water is the most important aspect of fitness. People way more knowledgeable about the details of human anatomy and physiology can explain exactly how water does all the miraculous things that it does better than I can. However, what’s important is that you know that you should be drinking plenty of water each day. I’m going to tell you exactly how much and also give you a few basic facts about water consumption. I’ll leave you with some very easy things that you can do to make sure you meet your daily water intake needs.
Question: How much water should I drink each day?
Answer: Ten (10) 8 oz. glasses is about 2/3 of a gallon. This is JUST enough for the average person! The more active you become, the more water you need to consume. Aim for 1 gallon per day.
Here’s some trivia to help you understand why:
- Water makes up about 60-75% of the human body
- Dehydration can occur with a minimal loss of water (only about 2-3%)
- Water is a great appetite suppressant and will help burn fat
- Water is great for detoxing the body of harsh chemicals
- Water helps keep the skin tight and smooth
- The more overweight you are, the more water you need. For every 25 lbs. you are overweight, you need 1 additional glass!
Now, here are some things you can do to make sure you get enough water.
1. Buy a water bottle! Simple enough. There are tons of BPA Free options out there. This way, you can carry your water with you and sip throughout the day.
2. When you’re at work, never pass by the water cooler without getting some water. It’s important to drink at least a small amount of water even when you’re not thirsty.
3. For every cup of coffee or alcohol you consume, you should be drinking 1 cup of water. (Easier said than done…I know. Give it a shot, anyway!)
4. Want some chips or something sweet? Drink a glass of water first. Then see if you still want it.
5. Mix up your water intake: Spring Water, Club Soda, Seltzer Water and Herbal Tea all count towards your daily totals.
Water serves you in so many ways. It aids in digestion, helps fuel your workouts, helps burn fat, and promotes muscle growth. As soon as you consistently up your intake you will notice a change in how you feel and subtle changes in how you look.
So now that you’ve read this GET UP AND DRINK SOME WATER!
Dream Fit. Live Fit.