Today’s post is a conclusion to last week’s: “Girl Power! Exposing the three biggest myths about women and strength training” article. This post is an introductory workout for women just getting started strength training. I will give you a circuit training routine to get you through your first month in the gym. Are you ready? Good! Let’s begin…
The Dragon’s “Girl Power! Beginners 4 Week Strength Training Circuit”
Directions: After your cardio warm-up , perform 8-10 repetitions of each exercise in a row. Choose a weight that is somewhat difficult but not impossible (i.e. 10 lbs. for lunges and squats and 5-10 lbs. for the curling & pressing movements).
Try to take rest no longer than 2 minutes between exercises. Perform the entire circuit 3 times.
- Warm-up: 3 to 5 Minutes of cardio on your favorite machine (treadmill, elliptical, or “jumping jacks (if at home)”
- Exercises (complete as a circuit) 3 rounds:
- Lunges: Each Leg x 10 reps
- Ballet Squat: 10 reps
- Dumbbell Chest Press: 10 reps
- Dumbbell Curl & Overhead Press: 10 reps
- Crunches: 20 reps
- “Plank” Position: Hold as long as possible.
- Cool Down: 10 Minutes of moderately paced cardio on your favorite machine.
* Post Workout Stretch: The post workout stretch is extremely important to keep blood flowing to those muscles and to help you from getting too sore! Make sure you stretch after each workout. Refer to my recent post on stretching for instructions. It can be found here:
- Full body stretch
- Quad stretch
- Cross Arm Stretch
- Pec Stretch
Well there you have it. Do this workout 2-3 times per week, eat right and within 1 month you’ll notice a significant change in your body. Just look in the mirror and you’ll see everything get tighter and curvier! Stay motivated and remember...
Dream Fit. Live Fit.